Thursday, September 14, 2017

Favorites and foodie heaven #1

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Day 14: D'Orsay xs 2, fancy dining, and Mr. Rodin.

I love the Orsay Museum. It's my favorite museums, and if you've followed this blog at all, you know we like museums.  It's the perfect combination of manageable size, incredible collection--my favorite is the Impressionists, and light.  I love spending an hour (or more) in the dark galleries then walking out in the light sculpture "garden" which refreshes me and boosts me to continue.  I want to live in the Orsay. It's my happy place.

One of the pros of the apartment was its proximity to the Orsay. 1 block, no more.  :)  Heaven.  Each night we passed the Ladies of the Orsay and I felt at peace.  So today would be a treat.  It was our day for D'Orsay, lunch at our first 3 Michelin star restaurant, L'Astrance, and whatever we felt like afterwards.

We pretty much opened the museum, I think we were the first into the Impressionist rooms since we headed there directly after collecting our audioguides.  Glorious solitude with the masters. Incredible!  It filled up pretty quickly but we certainly enjoyed "sharing" all the beautiful canvasses.  I know the collection changes and I was disappointed to not see my favorite from 2015, L'Evasion d'Rocheport by Manet.  But we noticed some Monets that hadn't registered in our brains on previous visits. It was all good!
Bon jour, Musee d'Orsay!
The ladies of D'Orsay have the best views!
Monet, London Parliament, 1904
Degas, Dancers in Blue, 1893
The view as we left the Impressionist galleries
I love the light!
Hercules the Archer, Bourdelle
Van Gogh, The Nap, 1889-1890
Van Gogh, the Church at Auvers-sur-Oine, 1890
Toulose Latrec
Toulose Latrec, Woman with gloves, 1890



We were there from 9am until 1145am.  We had a 1245 reservation at L'Astrance in the 16th and didn't want to be late for our first 3 Michelin star lunch!

D'Orsay conveniently has an RER station and easy metro connections.  We took the metro line 6 to Passy and were treated to an amazing view of the Eiffel Tower.
Nice view from the Metro!
We enjoy splurging ever so often on good food. We've been lucky to eat at 1 and 2 Michelin star restaurants on previous trips, usually at lunch, but have never gone to a 3 star.  In researching this trip, I ran across a blog post (https://parisbymouth.com/favorite-michelin-three-star-paris/) in which the author visited and paid for her meals at Paris's 3 michelin star restaurants.  I chose L'Astrance and enlisted the help of our Air B&B hostess to make the reservation.  I decided on lunch because it was reportedly very affordable.

L'Astrance is a tiny restaurant on Rue Beethoven in the 16th, down an unprepossessing street. It's across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower.  It was relatively easy to get to the general area on the Metro and nice Parisians pointed us in the right direction when we got turned around.
We were sat promptly on arrival and offered the below menus. I knew that they served what was fresh that day so I told them I didn't eat beef or pork and they worked with my dietary restrictions.  I realized here that I should say "I don't eat red meat or pork" because that is more accurate and then I won't get served duck, which I don't eat! We had the wine pairing with our meal.  It was, I think E120 per person for lunch.  Without wine, it would have been E70.  At a couple of points, I felt we were being ignored and somewhat overlooked.  We also were not served one plate, a great looking soup, that everyone else around us received.  The service was professional but a bit brusque.  The sommeliers were fantastic and the wine pairings were outstanding.  It was a delicious affordable meal in a lovely restaurant. We would certainly return!



Beautifully presented and delicious amuse bouche 
Mussels with edible flowers
Tasty fish
And another tasty (different) fish
The duck with beans
Palate cleansing sorbet
Dessert was sooo good
Eggnog and cookies
We'd eat fruit every day if it was like this!
After lunch, we took a few pictures with the Eiffel Tower but decided against walking there, instead headed to the Metro, through a lovely neighborhood, for the quick trip to the Varenne stop.  Husband wanted to see the Army Museum and I was hankering for a visit to the Rodin.

It really is an incredible view of the Eiffel Tower from line 6!

The Rodin Museum is in Hotel de Biron and it was under renovation for years. It re-opened last year and I wanted to see the house and the collection. It is covered by the Museum Pass.

The house was looking gorgeous but the weather was looking threatening so I took my time walking around inside, and indeed, it rained pretty hard while I walked around.


I didn't remember seeing Rodin's paintings before but they were very pretty in the impressionist style.
Old Boitsfot, Rodin, 1871-1877
Golden Twilight, 1871-1877
But his sculptures are the stars.  They are immediately familiar and evocative.
Saint John the Baptist, 1880

Perseus and Medusa, 1889
View of the Viaduct in Arles, or the Blue Train
Van Gogh, 1888
The Walking Man, 1880's
The Kiss, 1889-1890
The Cathedral, 1907
The museum was lovely but the gardens are still undergoing work.  I hope the next time I visit, it will all be done!
The Thinker, 1903

Back of Hotel Biron
Monument to James McNeil Whistler, 1908
The Gates of Hell, 1880-1890
The Three Shades, pre 1886
Hey there, ET!
The Burghers of Calais, 1889
After my hour and 45 minutes, I made my way to Napoleon's Tomb to meet husband.  He was enjoying his solo tour of the Army Museum.

The day was beautiful and the dome was glowing.  I love the little park adjacent to Napoleon's Tomb--the flowers are always so pretty with the Eiffel Tower peeking out.

Hiya, ET!

It was chilly so I made my way into the Tomb, about 45 minutes before it closed down.  A nice benefit of the Museum Pass!  A few people tried to get in without tickets and were turned away (they were not pleased!).  
Ridiculously gorgeous doors


After walking around a bit, I settled on a bench and read until husband was done.  He was quite enthused about the Army Museum, particularly a new section in the basement with interactive displays. We walked through the compound and exited.




It was a really pretty early evening.  We walked toward Pont Alxenandre III and took lots of pictures along the way.





We crossed the bridge and walked along the Seine to the footbridge by the Orsay Museum.  Paris is just so very pretty!




We were a little tired so headed up to the apartment to relax.

But we're not in Paris often (enough for me), and the Orsay was open late, and we had the Museum Pass, and it was a block away, so there we headed.
No lines for late entry

We didn't go back to the Impressionist Galleries, instead hit rooms we'd never been in before.  And once again, were charmed and amazed by the beauty on display.

Millet, 1857
Breton, 1859
Olympia, Manet, 1863
Bonnard, 1896
Tissot, 1878
Bonnard, 1890.  Reminds me of Klimt



Having my "nightcap" at the Musee D'Orsay was a great way to end a wonderful day in Paris!

Takeways:
1. I love the Musee D'Orsay
2. Lunch at LAstrance was really a treat, and didn't break the bank!
3. The Rodin Museum is lovely. I can't wait until the gardens are fully restored, too.
4. Walking in Paris is such a treat-it's just so very pretty!
5. I love Paris!

Next:  Le Louvre, foodie lunch #2, L'Orangerie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Doors and windows and hardware, oh my!

I really did take a lot of pictures of doors and windows and hardware. But somehow it wasn't enough... ...